Family: Wife Susan; two children
Residence: Marana, AZ (Tucson area)
Refusal to address concerns of Walmart associates
Members of the Organization United for Respect at Walmart (OUR Walmart) and their allies have repeatedly reached out to Timothy Flynn for him to listen their concerns. Mr. Flynn has repeatedly ignored these requests. (See here for a detailed list of efforts by Walmart associates to initiate a dialogue with Timothy Flynn.)
Educational and professional background
- B.A., Accounting, University of St. Thomas (St. Paul, MN), 1979
- He attended Nativity of Mary School and graduated from Kennedy High School in Bloomington.
- Flynn is a certified public accountant.
Flynn spent his entire 32-year career at KPMG and its predecessors. He retired in October 2011 as Global Chairman of KPMG International.
Flynn began working at the company’s Minneapolis office in 1979 and was elected to KPMG’s partnership in 1988. From 1990 to 1993, he led the Minneapolis office’s Middle Market Practice, and from 1993 to 1996, he was the Midwest Area Partner in Charge of Manufacturing, Retailing, and Distribution.
Flynn moved to KPMG’s New York office in 1997, where he took on national/international roles with the company:
- Global Managing Partner/Vice Chair, Human Resources (1998? – 2001)
- Global Managing Partner/Vice Chair, Audit & Risk Advisory Services (2001 – 2005)
- Chairman and CEO, KPMG, LLP (the U.S. member firm of KPMG International) (Chairman, 2005-2010; CEO, 2005-2008)
- Chairman, KPMG International (2007-2011)
- Walmart (2012-present): The company appointed Flynn to its board in July 2012. He serves on the board’s audit committee. In light of the alleged Mexico bribery scandal, Flynn’s reputation in corporate ethics and integrity undoubtedly played a role in his appointment. In its press release about the Board’s addition of Flynn, Walmart specifically mentioned his background in accounting, risk management, and financial reporting, and Rob Walton highlighted Flynn’s “professionalism and personal integrity.”
- JPMorgan Chase (2012-present): Flynn joined the Board of Directors of JP Morgan Chase in May 2012. He is on the board’s Risk Policy Committee.
- Chubb Corp. (2013-present): Flynn joined the Board of Directors of the Chubb Corp. in September 2013. He sits on the board’s Audit and Finance committee. Fellow Walmart director Jim Cash is a long-time Chubb director, having served on that company’s board since 1996.
Former board positions
- Former Trustee, Financial Accounting Standards Board
- Former member, World Economic Forum’s International Business Council
- Founding member, Prince of Wales’ International Integrated Reporting Committee
- Founding Board member, Center of Audit Quality
- Former member, Business Roundtable
- Former member, Dean’s advisory council, Villanova University School of Business
- Served on the Treasury Department’s Advisory Committee on the Auditing Profession, 2008
- Accounting Today’s Top 100 Most Influential People in Accounting, 2009 and 2010
- Directorship magazine’s Top 100 Most Influential People in the Boardroom, 2009 and 2010
- National Association of Corporate Directors Directorship 100 roster, 2009 and 2010
Flynn is said to have authored two books: Going Public: What the High Technology CEO Wants to Know and How to Build a High Technology Business. Internet searches for these titles turn up no results other than biographies of Flynn.
Political giving and activity
Flynn has made $15,350 in federal political donations since 2006. Nearly 60% of that figure ($8,750) went to the KPMG PAC. The remaining donations were split among four candidates: Chris Dodd (D), Chuck Schumer (D), Michael Ciresi (D), and Rudy Giuliani (R). Ciresi, a Minnesota trial attorney, unsuccessfully ran in the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party primaries for Senate in 2000 and 2008. He is on the University of St. Thomas Board of Trustees with Flynn, and is a fellow UST alumnus.
- Board of Trustees, University of St. Thomas (2006 – present)
- Serves on that board’s Audit-Finance committee
- Received the school’s Distinguished Alumnus award in 2011
- Flynn’s connections to St. Thomas run deep: other St. Thomas alumni in his family include his son (2012), brothers (1980 and 1981), sister (1984), father-in-law (1939) and father-in-law’s father (1910)
- Former treasurer, Partnership for New York City
- Former member of the Carnegie Hall Board of Trustees
- Director Emeritus, New York YMCA
- (Former?) member, financial committee, Most Blessed Sacrament parish (Franklin Lakes, NJ)
- Graduate CEO Member, Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy.