Making Change at Walmart releases statement highlighting Walmart record of shipping jobs overseas and not paying its fair share of American taxes
Washington, DC – “Making Change at Walmart,” the national campaign to change Walmart into a more responsible employer, released the following statement in advance of Walmart’s second U.S. Manufacturing Summit.
“Walmart’s manufacturing summit is an insult to the countless of American workers who have lost their jobs because of their failure to buy American,” said Jess Levin, communications director for Making Change at Walmart. “Adding insult to injury, Walmart is shipping jobs overseas and sheltering money in overseas tax havens to avoid paying U.S. taxes. This ‘summit’ is nothing more than a desperate attempt to distract from the real truth that Walmart helped destroy America’s manufacturing sector and still remains the nation’s number one importer. If Walmart wants to create jobs, it must buy American and pay its American taxes.”
Just last week, Making Change at Walmart announced its first national ad campaign of 2015 that highlighted Walmart’s avoiding American taxes through offshore tax shelters.
It’s been two and a half years since Walmart announced its so-called “U.S. manufacturing initiative”, which means it’s time for another PR-heavy, Walmart manufacturing “summit,” this one in Bentonville, Arkansas on July 7th and 8th. Here are seven things to keep in mind about Walmart’s impact on the U.S. manufacturing sector, past, present and future.
- We should be skeptical about “Assembled in the USA” claims from Walmart and their suppliers.
- Walmart helped destroy America’s manufacturing sector to begin with.
- Walmart’s purported commitment to increase purchasing from U.S. manufacturers is negligible.
- Walmart is the nation’s largest importer again and imports are up significantly.
- Walmart is using its manufacturing initiative to distract from the quality of its retail jobs.
- Taxpayers are often forced to subsidize the manufacturing projects touted by Walmart.
- Walmart could start with on-shoring some tax haven money.
READ MORE ON THESE SEVEN POINTS: http://walmart1percent.org/2015/07/06/7-key-facts-to-keep-in-mind-about-walmarts-u-s-manufacturing-summit/